Saturday, May 22, 2010

5/22/10

Happy Celebration Day, Mom. I'm sorry I didn't post on Mother's Day.

We had your party today, Stephen's birthday, at a restaurant in Seattle that overlooks the shipping canal. The room was lovely, and we had flowers and a big board of photos as well as a slideshow of photos going throughout. We also had a board with samples of your writings (Christmas letters) and lots of your name tags from trips and music festivals. There was a brass quintet; it was so nice outside that they played on the patio, startling and pleasing passing kayaks, joggers and dog-walkers. They had a great repertoire; Dixieland, swing classics, and classical. Trombone, euphonium, french horn and two trumpets.

Dad spoke along with some selected photos and told of your history together; it was very sweet. Everyone enjoyed his reminiscing, and many joined in at one point or another to identify people in photos or add to the backstory.

Paul Courtney and his wife Diane and daughter Heather were there, the Kelly's, Glenna and rank, Babs Glasgow. Joe's in the hospital, but I think Dad's going to visit him tomorrow. Mark and Fran, of course, Seth, Marion, and two friends from work that I would have liked you to know, Melissa and Hazel. It was really sweet, and the band played beautifully. We had a buffet of hors d'oerves, and it was all very casual, which worked well.

I felt happy rather than sad, which was a nice thing as I've been so stressed in the last week getting ready for this. Dad took a tumble and cut his ear and cheek, and I do worry about him. He and Stephen have been working very hard together to take care of all of the details of running the household that you handled; they're doing pretty well, but you know how it is whenever there's a change of command.

It was cloudy and sprinkled this morning, then it was gorgeous all during the party, and now it's clouded up again. I hope that we did it the way that you would have liked. It was very odd not having you there; it felt as though you were, and I think that's one of the reasons that it was as relaxed as it was. Everyone got along and I believe that they had a good time.

I miss you; it would have been more fun had you been there in person rather than in spirit. I hope you know how much I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment